Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Telling Perception



In this "Dispatch from the Inauguration" published in yesterday's Washington Post, Adele Levine gives what I think is a telling insight into what many Washingtonians think of Metro:

"After envisioning myself caught in a malfunctioning Metrorail car and trapped in a dark tunnel with several hundred strangers, I decided the best way to get to the inauguration would be to ride my bicycle the 13 miles from Wheaton."

Does that sum up how you feel about Metro?

Photo: John Morris

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I think this is the way a lot of people feel about Metro--and not just for "big" events. I think Metro is a substandard system, but the perception out there is that it's completely mismanaged and unreliable. I think that leads to what seems like perennial financial woes.

Anonymous said...

Oh, for God's sake. She was worried about getting caught in the biggest crowd in Metro history. You hijacked her text and used it to support your tiresome whining, which she in no way endorsed.

Anonymous said...

My comment will be visible after approval. Gee, I wonder whether that will happen.

Unsuck DC Metro said...

This is an open discussion. Contrary views are most certainly welcome. I invite you to read "Sticking up for Metro" as an example.

Anonymous said...

She was worried about being in a MALFUNCTIONING metro car, not a full metro car. it's a common sentiment and totally germane here.

Scenic Wheaton said...

This is adele here. And while I love a good train ride, the only thing reliable about Metro lately is how unreliable it is. Having survived the inauguration I've moved onto my next big fear - being trapped in a metro elevator with my bicycle for a few weeks until they get around to fixing it and discover my dehydrated body.

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Site Meter