Monday, March 14, 2011

Station Manager's Advance Creeps Out Rider


Anyone else experience something like this?

From an anonymous reader:
On Sunday morning, I was walking back from a bar by myself after being out with friends, it was around 1 a.m.

I went through the gates at Eastern Market and was walking toward the platform when I heard someone say "excuse me."

I turned around and saw the Metro employee in the booth leaning out trying to get my attention.

If see a Metro employee trying to get my attention, I respond.

Besides, I came through the gates right behind someone, so I thought maybe I accidentally piggy backed or something.

I walked back the kiosk, toward him, and when I got up to the booth, he leaned out, smiled and asked me my name. He was definitely hitting on me. It had that tone.

I turned around immediately and went down to the platforms.

I realize on the scale of getting hit on, this is minor.

But he used his position as a Metro employee in a way that borders on abuse of power.

I was alone, late at night, and until now, I've felt like getting to a Metro station is a safe-haven from potential rapists because it's well lit and manned with people whose job it is to prevent that stuff from happening (Maybe that is a naive worldview.).

To use your power in a Metro uniform in the Metro booth to call over a girl who is alone (and possibly visibly intoxicated - I wasn't that drunk, but when you add a couple drinks and wearing heels, walking becomes precarious), that's just wrong.

To use the illusion that he needed to talk to me by calling to me from the booth ... I don't know, I was creeped out.
Other items:
Five arrested in Metro fight (Examiner)
Virtual tunnel between Farraguts to open this fall (Examiner)
Higher gas prices may lead to more transit use (WTOP)
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Site Meter