Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How Safe is Gallery Place?


Even lights don't appear to have made Gallery Place safe. (via @IMGoph)

Anyone else have any insight onto this incident(s)?

Sounds pretty scary.

A MTPD source I contacted didn't know anything about it.

From Chrystal via Facebook:
Did anyone else see the fight at Gallery Place Metro Monday night?

Complete mayhem. The "more police presence" is complete lip service.

Everyone was just standing around while these two kids were beating the snot out of each other.

I think it was more a diversion for about 20 to 30 kids who got out of paying Metro fare because as soon as the cops came, they BOTH took off running.
From Jessica:
On Monday night around 6, I was transferring at Gallery Place, and, as I was walking up the escalator from the lower level to get to the Red Line toward Shady Grove, I heard a woman screaming her head off.

Everyone was staring at her, and it looked like she was with some other people.

Anyway, as I got to the top of the escalator and started walking to the train, I saw three young African-American kids (teens or 20s, I couldn't really tell) just plowing through the crowded area and into people!

It looked as if they were chasing each other (coming from the direction of the train, so I'm not sure if they were originally on it).

I have no idea if they were joking around or seriously running from each other.

As I saw this I tried and move out of the way and stood against the elevator, but the last kid still brushed up against me.

I could tell he was holding something underneath his shirt with the end sticking out. I can only imagine it was a gun. I can't be 100 percent sure, but at the time this was all happening, I couldn't think of anything else it could be.

Once they all passed the crowded area, everyone was looking scared and confused.

I just bolted to my train, hoping it would leave as soon as possible.

Needless to say, I'll be transferring at Metro Center from now on.

I'm surprised there weren't more tweets on this - I only found two other people mentioning it. It all happened pretty fast, but there were a lot of people who saw what was going on.
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Site Meter