Monday, April 23, 2012

Driven to Drive


From J.T.:
Last season, I went to a lot of Nats games. I took Metro every time.

By the end, the whole experience was getting so unpleasant, but it wasn't until one evening being offloaded, getting sardined with a bunch of strangers on a hot August evening and then yelled at by Metro police that it finally dawned on me: "Why am I doing this?"

Like so many others, I'd just blindly thought that just because Metro went to the stadium, it was the best way to go. Go Metro! Go Nats! right?

Not by a long shot.


Via @unncola #wmata post nationals game no trains /cc @unsuckdcmetro http://pic.twitter.com/6rzi6DcR

This year, I've been driving. I go with the same group of friends nearly every time, and it has never been a hassle.

None of us are big drinkers, so there's no worry about drinking and driving. (And if you're getting drunk paying ballpark beer prices, you can probably afford a cab.)

The parking is cheap and plentiful, and the congestion to get in, from Arlington, and out clears up quickly.

I never timed my Metro trips, but I'm pretty sure I get home faster driving. I know it's a hell of a lot more comfortable with a lot less stress.

I'd like to be green and all that, but Metro needs to come a long way for this decision to even be close.

Go Nats, but don't go Metro is what I now say.
Oh, and if you were thinking about seeing the Nats play the world champion St. Louis Cardinals (Yes!) over Labor Day weekend, L'Enfant will be closed for track work. (h/t Janet).

Other items:
 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Site Meter